In October-November 2018 we circulated our Membership Survey in various communications, and received 94 completed surveys (63 responses having volunteered in a FKC activity and 31 responses having never volunteered in a FKC activity). These folks have been FKC members for 1-5 years (73%) and for over 6 years (27%) and residents of Calgary (63%), Canmore (26%), Cochrane (5%), and Bragg Creek, Airdrie, Mallarville, Lethbridge and Didsbury.
The majority of people (99%) enjoy hiking, followed by xc skiing (70%), snowshoeing (66%), mountain biking (47%) and other activities such as trail running, backcountry/frontcountry camping, paddling, and climbing.
The overall ratings and feedback provided was good, positive, with constructive feedback. People have joined FKC to support Kananaskis Country in a tangible way, and help work on trails. Their participation gives them a sense of giving back with an opportunity to build/maintain the trails they use. This is at its core what makes the FKC trail program unique.
There are good learnings from what people like the least about FKC activities, such as the occasional long hikes to worksite. Comments were shared regarding the orientation and safety paperwork being too lengthy, long driving distance, and the need for carpooling opportunities.
Our Crew Leaders rating for leadership, safety and training was 4.48/5 stars, and volunteer rated their level of appreciation when volunteering at 4.43/5. On a 1-4 scale, volunteers rated their experience as Great (60%), Good (30%), Neutral (8%), and Poor (2%) – with 90% likely to continue to volunteer.
There were also clear indications as to why people are not volunteering, such as being too busy or inconvenient days/times, and being uncertain of necessary skills, fitness, strenuous work.
Other than helping with specific trail care initiatives, people mentioned they would be interested in other environmental work such as clean ups, invasive management, restoration, and a few indicated interest in Board/committee work or office support.
There were many comments and feedback throughout the survey. These gave us more perspective on what’s working and what needs improvement. We heard you and we will be working towards improving the following in 2019:
- Ensuring our volunteer trail activities are offered on both weekdays and weekend to accommodate all schedules.
- Ensuring our volunteer trail activities provide opportunities for all levels of ability, fitness, ages, and ensure people feel competent and inspired to participate.
- Car pooling! We heard this loud and clear and will look into options for this.
- Offering family/kid friendly volunteer opportunities.
- Ensuring you, the devoted volunteers, are well-thanked and appreciated.
- Offering more notice for volunteer opportunities.
- Kicking off the trail day as prepared and efficiently as possible, while incorporating the necessary paperwork, orientation, and safety requirements.
A BIG thank you to our members who took the time to complete the survey. Your feedback is always welcome, no need to wait for our next survey, just send us an email or call us 403-678-5593.
If you don’t already have a FKC volunteer profile, we encourage you to set one up HERE. This is the site where you sign up for volunteer opportunities and get added to our volunteer email list. You’ll receive our WHAT’S HAPPENING communication with all our volunteer and event updates.